Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Eat Fresh.


There are no chain restaurants here, with the exception of one. I ate at Subway for lunch today and was very happy about it. Instead of the nationally televised $5.00 sub, mine was a lot more. I know, some of you may think I was robbed at the cash register, but alas, I was not. Food is expensive here. What isn't hunted or fished is flown in by cargo plane or bush pilot. We live in a tundra town divided by rivers and mountain ranges. It's made up of about 7,000 people. Most of the residents here are Native Alaskan and to be honest, could care less if my little slice of heaven were to shut its doors tomorrow. Still, it was a nice feeling to be inside a warm restaurant with my favorite turkey and provolone, toasted, with oil and vinegar dressing, a side of sour cream and onion chips and a root beer with ice.

3 comments:

Julia said...

provolone! no explanation needed. sounds perfectly lovely.

Anonymous said...

Rho, I think you need to make one of those commercials we see on TV, you know, "Five,Five, Five dollar foot longs", but make the Alaskan version, "Ten,Ten,Ten dollar foot longs"!

Unknown said...

So . . . you took a picture of the cup polluting the bush, but didn't pick it up, huh? for shame.